Physician-assisted death, now being debated in Canada’s Parliament, is one of the most profound and sensitive issues of the 21st century. The legalization of physician-assisted suicide and euthanasia represents a radical change to Western cultural values and is a complicated issue.
As a service to help our fellow Canadians understand how they could be impacted by Bill C-14, the proposed new law, we have written an extensively-researched legal analysis on it, which we are making available to our readers FREE of charge in celebration of BestStory.ca’s 4th anniversary.
18 PHOTOS - 1 illustration
POSTED: APRIL 29, 2016
Noted science and technology journalist Marc Saltzman interviews Editor Warren Perley.
New journalism model with old print values!
It took us more than 3 1/2 years from concept to launch date to build an unique website, the first in the world dedicated solely to original, long-form journalism with multiple graphics devoid of advertising, and sold on a story-by-story basis.Advertising is clutter
Yes, you read right. BestStory.ca will neither solicit nor accept ads of any kind because we feel that advertising on the Internet creates visual clutter and could exert undue influence on editorial decisions.One story at a time
The only source of revenue for beststory.ca is the sale of individual stories to individual readers for 40 cents each, which can be paid with your credit card via PayPal.
Readers in Canada pay in Canadian funds; readers outside Canada pay in U.S. funds. Revenue Canada requires us to add sales tax to stories sold in Canada, with the amount varying according to province or territory, but does not require us to add sales tax on stories sold outside Canada.Original and unique
- We are NOT aggregators. Stories posted on our website have never been published on any other journalism site or in any print edition of a newspaper or magazine.
- The salient features of our site are explained below. For those seeking more details, we have links at the top right-hand side of this Home Page which explain every aspect of our business model.There is some overlap in the content of those links to compensate for the fact that readers do not necessarily read each link or look at them in the order they are listed.
- 3 stories for $1.20
- 13 stories for $5.20 + 1 BONUS story
- 25 stories for $10 + 3 BONUS stories
- Purchase options are priced in points, with every point equal to one cent.
- Points purchased by readers NEVER expire.
- Contributors earn royalties even on BONUS stories.
- Free teasers on the Home Page give readers an idea of what each story is about, as well as the word and photo counts. If you then wish to buy the article in question, press the button which says, "Buy Story".
- If you are a first-time buyer, you will first have to register as a reader by pressing the "Become A Reader" button. This tells us in what geographic region you live in order for us to know what sales tax we have to add if you reside in Canada.
- Registering also allows our writers to track their story sales geographically. All address information in the registration form is protected by a Premium SSL, the highest level of encryption security available online, and is kept confidential.
- We do NOT keep financial information, such as your credit card number, on our site. That confidential information is kept secure by PayPal, the largest online credit card processor in the world.
- If you have registered previously as a reader, which means you already have points in your account, you will be asked to use your Username and Password to log in to your Reader's Lounge, where downloaded stories can be read and re-read. You can access your Reader's Lounge forever from anywhere in the world on any web-enabled computer, laptop, tablet or smartphone.
- Updates, as indicated by a red icon next to the story listing in your Reader's Lounge, are FREE.
- We have installed Digital Locks on the stories themselves (not the teasers) to protect the copyright and moral rights of our contributors.This means the stories are not meant to be copied or printed. Journalists are remunerated through royalties of 25 percent, which works out to 10 cents every time one of their stories is sold to a reader.
- Contributors who are registered with us can track their story sales 24/7, both geographically and chronologically, through the Press Club section of our site accessed through the Contributor Login at the top of this Home Page.
- Contributors' Profiles
- The Location refers to the area where the story takes place; not necessarily from where the journalist is writing.
- We have not installed a search engine because we don't feel that one is needed until the story selection becomes much larger.
- We don't sell subscriptions because we don't control the flow of content; the freelance journalists do.
- Since we can't guarantee when or how often new stories will be posted, it would not be fair to ask readers to pay for a subscription. Instead, we sell each story for the modest amount of 40 cents.
- Since we don't have a publication schedule, the best way for you to know when a new story has been posted is to use our RSS feed.
- Every story is edited by Montreal-based journalist Warren Perley, who has worked at five major media companies as both an editor and reporter during a career spanning over 30 years. It can take between weeks and months to prepare a story for posting, with close consultations between editor and writer. Some stories simply don’t make the grade and are returned to the journalist in question with an explanation as to why it was not deemed worthy of publication on our site.
- By now, you likely have the correct idea that our site is based on quality, rather than quantity. But don’t take our word for it. Instead, please read some of our articles and draw your own conclusions.
- Although our target audience is Canadian readers, we have stories already written and many more planned which we believe will be of interest both in Canada…and beyond.
- Please share the teasers for our articles with your friends and colleagues to make them aware about this new model of quality journalism for people who love original material with no advertising. It's as easy as pressing the "Recommend To A Friend" button on each teaser. You don't even have to buy the story before pressing that button!
- Based in Montreal, we’re grateful to have the ability via the Internet to reach journalists and readers beyond our borders because in the final analysis original thinking and good writing know no boundaries.
We're dedicated to promoting independent long-form journalism with no affiliations to government, political parties, big business, unions, or religious organizations.
The real story behind beststory.ca
Please click to read an article about the genesis and business model of beststory.ca, which was posted on j-source.ca. J-source.ca is owned by The Canadian Journalism Foundation in collaboration with leading journalism schools and organizations across Canada.
Another independent media organization you might like to know about:
Started in July 2012, Shout Out UK describes itself as one of Britain’s fastest growing alternative news networks with over 5,000 freelance journalists and students writing from over 100 countries.
Editor’s Note: This link has not been implemented for monetary considerations. Nor is it an endorsement of political views expressed on Shout Out UK. Rather, it is a reciprocal exchange of links between two independent media sites.